Founded in 1887 by the likes of Sir William Gray, Lady Gray and Sir Christopher Furness MP, Hartlepool Lawn Tennis Club is one of the oldest tennis clubs in the country. The earliest reference to the club was in a ‘wanted ad’ in The Northern Daily Mail in September, 1886. A new tennis club was to be opened and they required ‘turf to sod’ for the development of several grass tennis courts.
On 29th April, 1887, a notice was published in the same newspaper announcing the opening of the club on a plot of land between Alma Street and Sheriff Street in Hartlepool. The notice opened with the lines, “We are glad to state that this game which is making rapid strides throughout the country is being taken up by the ladies, and gentlemen of West Hartlepool in real earnest. A new club – in fact we may say the only club – has been got up on a large scale. There are 110 gentlemen members, and 60 ladies making a total of 170. The ground which is situated in Grange-road, is a first class one. The committee have spared neither trouble nor expense in the laying out of the eight courts, and a bowling green, and they expect they will all be in good playing condition on the opening of the ground, which they anticipate will be a month to-morrow, the Saturday previous to Whitsuntide.”
On Saturday 28th May, 1887, the club was opened for the first time. A number of interesting articles appear over the years, including trouble with the town’s commissioners about the erection of a pavilion, club tours, tournaments and, in 1882, a move to the current site on the corner of Grange Road and Granville Avenue. The Deeds show that the land was bought by Sir William Gray and Frederick Pyman from the Wooler family (of Wooler Road fame) who sold it to pay off a debt.
The club continued to develop over the years, fielding a number of successful senior teams. Here come the girls…
From the 1920s through to the 1950s the club also enjoyed a strong social diary, and the club hosted annual gala dinners and dances at The Grand Hotel in Hartlepool.
In the early 1970s the Club, by then called ‘Hartlepool Lawn Tennis Club’ amalgamated with Linden Grove Tennis Club when the Linden Grove courts were sold for private housing. In 1974 the sale of the piece of land on which the Club’s original wooden pavilion was sited allowed the club to build the present Clubhouse, providing new changing rooms, showers and toilet facilities. In 1976, as the four grass courts had not been in use for some time, it was agreed the two courts to the south of the plot adjacent to Granville Avenue would be sold, and the two remaining grass courts replaced with Allweather Tennisquick courts. The Club at this point had three Red Shale courts now numbered 3, 4 and 5 and the new Tennisquick courts now numbered 1 and 2. Subsequently the three shale courts have been replaced with all-weather surfaces and in 1996, with a grant from the National Lottery Fund, courts 1, 2 and 3 were re-laid with the Acrylic surface we use today.
Today the club has nearly 150 members. We have a large number of juniors and the Club places a strong emphasis on junior and new member development. We have men’s and ladies’ teams in the Cleveland League and they always place well in the league tables. Although the club faces a number of challenges, it has a strong tradition which reaches back 130 years. With this amazing heritage the club continues to show the same grit, passion and love for tennis it always has.